My Absolutely True Response to a Diary of a Part-TIme Indian

     This is my second time reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. The first time I read the novel was in, I believe, my junior year of high school. The first time that I read the novel I was incredibly impressed by the realistic and relatable nature of the main character, Junior/Arnold. The second go-around, I was just as impressed with the narrator. Alexie's decision to make Junior, the low guy on the totem pole, the narrator intrigues me. In my creative writing course, we've been exploring the technique of reading like a writer, so I would like to dig into Alexie's decision.   

    By choosing Junior as the narrator for the novel, the audience is immediately introduced to a kid who already does not fit into the typical Native American mold. Arnold explains that he is pretty much a freak of nature with his lopsided eyes, skinny stature, huge hands and feet, constant seizing, and speech impediments (3-4). To top off Junior's physical difference, Junior is also socially different from his peers too. Junior is a self-proclaimed "book kisser" (30). The realization that Junior is a social pariah is important because if Junior had fit in perfectly with the other Native Americans on the reservation, I do not think he would have ever decided to leave the reservation in an attempt to break the vicious cycle of alcohol abuse and lack of education in his family. For example, if Rowdy, Junior's best friend, had been the narrator of the novel then the reader would have failed to comprehend lessons such as the identity struggle between the desire to be successful and the desire to remain culturally intact.  

    Through Junior's lack of social acceptance on the reservation and decision to leave the reservation the identity struggle between his Native American cultural identity and his desire to make something out of himself are exemplified. Junior does not fit in at Reardan, because he is Native American. Junior does not fit on the reservation because he has left them. The rejection he faces from both groups increases his validity as a narrator. Who better to inform the audience on the struggle Native Americans deal with when it comes down to feeling like they are forced to pick either their tribe or personal successes? Junior states "it was the loneliest time of my life" in regards to this period of rejection from both groups. 

    Examining Junior's age is important when considering Alexie's decision to cast Junior as the narrator. The reader meets Junior at the beginning of his freshman year of high school and stays with him until the end of his freshman year of high school. The transition from middle school to high school, no matter how small the school, can already be an overwhelming transition. Acceptance is a huge part of high school for everyone. This makes Junior's constant rejection and failure to quite fit in relatable to any reader. We all can identify with loneliness. I think Alexie deliberately picks this age that is naturally associated with so much change for his narrator. Junior is changing. Junior is leaving parts of his cultural identity in search of his individuality. 

    One thing that I admire about Junior as a narrator is his honesty. He constantly tells the reader his truth as he sees it. I find that the graphics of the novel help portray Junior's reality as he sees it. Junior even explains to the reader why he draws"I draw because words are too unpredictable. I draw because words are too limited.... But when you draw a picture, everybody can understand it" (5). Junior draws to explain and what is going on in his life and how he perceives it. Alexie even throws in language such as curse words and "boners" (97) to make Junior more realistic and relatable to his audience. 

    Basically, I go through this entire mini analysis of Alexie's decision to make Junior his narrator to say I like Junior. He is a good choice of narrator in my opinion.  

Comments

  1. Interesting that you have now read it twice. I bet it was shocking back in your junior year. I agree about the decision of Junior's age having a huge impact on the POV from which the novel is written. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature