We Were Liars

"We were liars" was a novel that I felt was kind of interesting... I guess. I mean, It was kind of hard to follow. The ending was kind of...all right. Nice use of foreshadowing and other literary elements. It was all and all, kind of hard to relate to. I kept thinking that I've read better books.My favorite quote from the book was from page 199 "What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love. I liked it because it seemed kinda nice I guess? I really don't know. This book seems a mess to me. The dialogue always felt awkward. She seems more like a poet turned author than anything else. I don't really have too many thoughts on the book. I am probably not going to check out her other work.

Everything is so loud. Why is everything so loud? I'd rather for things to just be quiet. I don't know what I'm doing. I didn't like the book. The book was so...boring. It felt like a melancholic drama. It's got a weird slice-of-life feel up until the last 5th of the book. I wish I could say more but the book was really, bleh. I can't tell you how many times that I just wanted to skip to the ending of the book. But for the sake of the group I stuck it out. It was really hard to not fall asleep while reading most of the time. It just kept dragging on and on almost pointlessly. I just could see what lackluster demented torture of a book this was. I'm trying to find something good to say but I can't. I absolutely hate writing negative reviews about a piece of writing that I could tell that the author worked so hard on. Cadence seems so overly dramatic even for a teenager. I don't know why everyone around her couldn't just fill her in. Oy Vey. I would recommend giving this book a hard pass.





Comments

  1. I kept thinking "ive read better books" as well the whole time with this book. I agree that the book was all over the place and I think a part of that was that the author never seemed to know how to establish the story in one time period well and focused too much on making It all very mysterious, but It was confusing and like you said a little messy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature