Feed Blog Post

I've pointed out a lot about how most novels are products of their time. Feed was written in 2002 when technology was reaching a new momentum so I think Anderson does a good job of playing on the fears or debates that surround technology. I enjoyed discussing references to history in the book today in class. It made me appreciate the book that much more. One theme that I find to be worth discussing is that of resistance. Feed is a sort of critique of the present. Today we may not have chips implanted in out brains but some may argue that we are to an extent victims of corporate brainwashing. We live in a day where the government seems to ignore evidence of environmental degradation and corporate control. I noticed that Anderson dedicated his novel to "all those who fight the feed." I like to look up "things that readers miss in ___" for every book I read and that's what i found. This suggests that he wants his readers to be aware of changes in society, to develop their own opinions, not just what is imposed upon them.
This book definitely subtly exemplifies ways of resisting consumerism and corporate power which may be a message to readers. I think the theme of resistance is most prevalent in part four but still applies to the whole novel. One quote I really connected to was "What I've been doing over the feed for the last two days, is trying to create a customer profile that's so screwed, no one can market to it. I'm not going to let them catalog me. I'm going to become invisible." This is how I have felt when I realize how social media isn't only for us to stay connected. It is manipulative and so I too have felt the need to become invisible by deleting all of my profiles. Another quote is "the only thing worse than the thought it may all come tumbling down is the thought that we may go on like this forever." I feel like this is really close to how millennials feel. Technology is a big part of our lives but at the same time we see the negative effects. We are stuck between being accustomed to it but also realizing that life may be more rich without it. Does that make sense?
Another point I think is worth talking about how in class we discussed how Violet's life threatening condition can be related to caner. In regard to government control, I've heard of debates in news articles and whatnot that argue that medical professionals have found a cure but for profitable purposes, it has not been released. Does anyone think that our government/medical people would/ could do this?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature