Feed

The story of Feed by M.T Anderson was a very unique and creative read. I found the language in the book very hard to understand. The slang and the repetition of the word "like" was very excessive but I can also see how the author puts an emphasis on the language to make fun of that generation. The book set in a futuristic world and is told in the narrative of Titus, a teen boy who talks about his life with the feed. In this society, the feed is implanted in each person's head which is a constant stream of internet content. According to Titus, "school is run by the corporations, its pretty brag, because it teaches us how the world can be used, like mainly how to use our feeds" (109). The world they live in the book is very consumer and technology-heavy. My favorite thing about the book is how the author wrote in a satire style that covered up similarities to real problems in our world. Similar to the GPS the feed leads the characters to destinations as we see when Titus says, "I followed my feed's directions to her house." I think it was really scary to read about a society that could one day possibly be us.

Comments

  1. Eva,
    I also thought the language was hard to understand at times. I agree with how scary it would be to one day have a world like that to where technology is needed 24/7. Is this a book you would want to teach to your future class? If so, what theme would you want to focus on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the language. Do you think in a way this took away from the novel? In our creative writing class last semester we learned about characterization (like trying to relate to the generation) and how sometimes little things like word choice (like and others) can take away from the work as a whole. I said in my blog post that there's this weird in between with our generation today as we work with technology so much so that it is a big part of our lives (almost irreplaceable) but at the same time, we recognize how we would possibly be more in tune with life if we weren't so bound. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva,
    I totally agree that the language in this novel was hard to understand at times, and could be extremely annoying. I, also, love how you connect this novel back to our world today. As of right now humans are so reliant technology that we lose our minds if we can't find our handheld computers. Sometimes it scares me just thinking about how toddlers just know how these things work, and are already being taught that they need an Ipad or Iphone to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the amount of time the author has placed “like” in a sentence together was a bit confusing. I didn’t realize he could be doing it to tease the generation but I understand now. I too believe that the technology use is much similar to what we use today, which makes it so interesting at times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature