Reflection on The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie was a very light-hearted easy read that also told a powerful side of a narrative we don't so often hear about; the Native American story. Alexie writes this book in a first-person point of view and in a personal diary style. I loved that he wrote the book in this way because it made me, as a reader, feel much more close to Arnold and his experiences. The diary-style writing in the story was also great because I loved getting caught up in the story Arnold was telling and then getting a reflection afterward about it. An example I really love is when Coach stayed with Arnold all night in the hospital room. Arnold talks to the reader and says, "We told each other many stories. But I never repeat those stories. That night belongs to just me and my coach" (pg.149). I loved this moment because it was not only so clearly touching, but we got a bit of that reflection with it from Arnold that really affirmed how much this moment meant to him as well. The biggest theme in this story that touched me was the theme of self-development.

At the beginning of the book, Arnold describes himself in a very negative light that represented his self-depreciation. The image Arnold paints of himself to the reader at the beginning, based on his own description, is one of an awkward "stuttering," "lisping," and overall unconfident shy kid. As the book progresses and we get to know Arnold more through his experiences, we get to see a completely different side of Arnold that is nothing like the beginning first description. Arnold's personality shines when he is talking about the things he loves; his family, his friends, school, and Penelope. He is passionate about learning and creating a good life for himself. His persistence to never give up or stop believing in his best friend is one of my favorite traits of Arnold. As the story progresses, the reader sees Arnold go on this journey of self-discovery and realization of the world along the way. He learns that in the end, it's okay to let people in; to let them surprise you because in the end the world is only divided by good and bad, not by race or tribes. 
  
I think Alexie did a fantastic job in making this book relatable to not only adolescents, but to people of all ages. As a kid, I struggled a lot with trying to find my way and figuring out who I wanted to become. Similar to Arnold's story, it took me a lot of code-switching, reflections, and life lessons along the way to help lead me to who I became. The life themes in this book of preservers, hard work, identity confusion, and overall trying to find one's way are universal. I think that this is a perfect read for readers of all ages and ethnicities to relate to and I'm sure also fall in love with like I have. 

Comments

  1. I love how you pointed out that the book is written in first person because I too felt closer to Arnold. Alexie makes you feel as if you are right by his side every step of the way, and want to help him anyway you can throughout the story. Also, I agree with how you explained that this story doesn't just speak to adolescents but to all people. What you said is completely accurate because some people never find out who they are due to all the negatives in their life. Thankfully for Arnold, he was able to overcome failure because he knew what he wanted out of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature