Reflection on The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian

Overall, I LOVED this novel. It was an easy read, yet it addressed difficult and relevant topics. Not many young adult novels do this so well, in my opinion. Alexie addressed issues like racism, Indian reservations, our broken education system, and poverty. These topics are very controversial in our culture today, but Alexie addressed them all in a thought-provoking way.
While it is a great novel, there is some questionable content throughout it, most often things like sexual innuendos. It would not be uncommon to come across a line by Gordy or Arnold about having a "boner" or "jerking off." I do think it is a little crass, but at the same time, it is an accurate depiction of how many high school boys around that age talk. I did question how Arnold made the varsity basketball team so easily, because I do not think it goes quite like that in real life.
I personally connected to the book when Arnold was in his basketball games, ironically. I played basketball from 8th grade until my senior year of high school, so it is definitely a sport I have come to love. As I read about Arnold’s struggle to push through all the frustrations he had during his games and tryouts, I saw him grow into someone who does not give up. He continued to play, even when he believed he had screwed everything up for his teammates.
Alexie did an amazing job with his portrayal of adolescence. It is a time when young adults are unsure of themselves and the world they are growing up in, which is exactly what was shown in each character in this novel. It was funny reading about Arnold’s belief that he had to be big and tough when he transferred to Rearden, but then he had people like Roger who were older and stronger treat him with kindness. While some upperclassmen can be jerks, most of them are very willing to help the lowerclassmen. There were many other ways that Alexie accurately portrayed adolescence in this book.

Comments

  1. Taylor, I loved this book too! I think Sherman Alexie is an awesome writer. I was a runner in high school, but just like you I got excited during the basketball parts. Alexie does such a good job of describing the competitiveness and the plays of the game right before Arnold scored. It felt like I was watching the scene in my head! Is this a book you would want to include in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this book may be a little bit too blunt for the middle school level, but if I were teaching a secondary English class, I would definitely include this book!

      Delete
  2. Taylor, I thought this book was a great read as well. I also think that Alexie did a great job of handling controversial topics. He did a great job with the dialect in the book. My two younger brothers are both around Arnold's age and I've heard them say similar things. I think that Arnold's character grew more dynamic when it got to the basketball games. I was able to relate more to him because I also played basketball in high school so I know how he felt. Alexie does a good job of portraying the adolescent phase, how would you address the same topics in the classroom if you were to use this novel in your class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were to use this novel in my classroom, I would have to carefully address the topics in a way that does not make the students think I am forcing my opinion on them. I would ask the students their opinions and closely monitor discussions afterward. In a middle school classroom, I think it may be neat to ask the students if they have noticed any of these issues come up in their personal lives or on the news.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature