Reflection of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian

I really enjoyed this reading because of how quick it is to digest and how Alexie addresses many social issues in a casual manner. He utilizes the narration of a rising freshman as well as insertion of cartoons to make the intensity of negative post-colonial effects and racism seem less overwhelming. As we discussed in class, "post-colonial theory looks at issues of power, economics, politics, religion and culture and how these elements work in relation to colonial hegemony." With this in mind, we may analyze how Arnold elaborates on the effects of colonization in the United States as well as westward expansion as his people would be considered the "colonized." The first glimpse we get at the effects of colonialism is where Mr. P describes to Arnold how he use to "teach" Native Americans. He says, "we beat them. That's how we were taught to teach you. We were supposed to kill the Indian to save the child" (pg 35). In my Native American short story class this semester, we are discussing coercive assimilation which took place in the late 1800s through the early 1900s. The goal of this set of policies was to turn Indians into white people. American Indian culture was to be replaced with the agrarian and individualistic aspects of white, Christian, European-based culture. As an example of the lasting effects of colonization or relocation or whatever you want to call it, Arnold says, “I know, I know. But some Indians think you have to act white to make your life better. Some Indians think you become white if you try to make your life better, if you become successful”(pg. 131). Other lasting effects of colonization that are prevalent on the reservation shown in this book include a lack of funding for schools leading to poorer education than the rest of the country, lack of resources to produce enough income in households leading to stress leading to alcohol and drug usage, and finally just a simple lack in self worth.
I also wanted to touch on the issue of racism and stereotyping that this diary brings up. The best example of this is found on page 63 as Arnold says, "none of those guys punched me or got violent. After all, I was a reservation Indian, and no matter how geeky and weak I appeared to be, I was still a potential killer. So mostly they called me names. Lots of names." Their prejudice against him stems from their lack of experience with those of his race- because he lives on a government imposed reservation. Their fear stems from possible former instances of unstable people of his kind whose instability came from complete isolation and lack of resources. It's a vicious cycle. Another example of racism is how his science teacher won't acknowledge his correction of definition but will accept the same response from a white student.
This entry has become longer than I intended, so I apologize. I made another connection besides that one from my Native American short story class though. Arnold's character is in perfect alignment with the development of a boy his age (as I'm slowly understanding in my Adolescent Development class). He is trying to understand his identity apart from his family and he seeks to be accepted. This is best represented in the cartoons on pages 43 and 6. That being said, I totally agree with the author's depiction of adolescence. And as a final statement, the biggest thing I got from this book is how to effectively cover intense topics in history and I look forward to finding similar novels or materials to use in my classroom!

Comments

  1. Logan,

    My favorite part of your entry definitely has to be the section about the vicious cycle of racism that Junior has to face. The moments in the novel that left the biggest impression on me were the ones that took place in a toxic and potentially racist environment; the classroom scene in particular. I think Alexie does a wonderful job when it comes to conveying the impact that prejudice can have for a member of a group that is already so drastically marginalized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored reading your post. I loved how you hit on many different topics and themes that could be found in this novel. I also enjoy how you read this novel and made real life connections. This is a work of fiction but your response to the article proved that these are still real life situations based off of true events. You’re connected also made me think about the few times that native Americans culture has been brought up in class. As an African American I am so used to rehearsing our misfortunes that other cultures don’t stand out as much to me. I hate to admit that but at least I’m truthful. But this book clearly has changed that for me. And I appreciate you emphasizing how normal it is to believe that being smart is considered “white”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement of understanding Alexie's view of adolescence. I also liked how you included the things that you're learning in your Native American short story class and tied it into the novel- this just shows how true Alexie's feelings were towards post-colonization and the traumas that came with it. The racism and stereotypes that people have towards other people can definitely affect the way people act and think and I am glad that this book touches on such sensitive topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you mentioned the lasting effects of colonization that included the poor education and lack of resources we see in the book. These elements from colonization are prevalent on the reservation and are often issues that greatly negatively effect lives, as we see in the novel. For Arnold to get the education he needed and deserved he had to move off the rez and seek it out, but it should have been provided for all students there to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature