La Linea (book post)

 I'm going to be honest. I did not care for this book. I finished it pretty quickly. The material of the book was real, authentic, factual, etc. and I though that the author did great with the overall topic of the book. However, I don't think I cared for the writing style.

I don't usually mind short books, although I prefer long and lengthy reads because it usually has more substance. I don't usually mind them because it's quick, straight to the point and my brain enjoys them. But this one was almost too quick. I felt like the book wasn't very tense for a story covering this type of material? I imagine being in this scenerio would be frightening and so tense that you feel a little panicked. This book didn't give me that feeling and it just felt like a school assignment. It felt anti-climactic. The ending was a little rushed to me. I didn't feel like every question was answered or even acknowledged. Miguel and his sister's inner-turmoil felt unanswered by the end. Like their anger towards their parents. It felt too easy to let go of so fast. And although the thought of his sister returning to Mexico years later felt realistic, the idea of the siblings finding their parents so easily did not feel realistic.

And yes, I get that it's a story and most authors want a happy ending or at least a satisfying ending that makes sense. I didn't get that feeling or emotion with this little book. I would give it an overall 4/10 and this would be my least favorite from the entire semester. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me. I don't think I would read it again either. I am usually one to keep books for my small library, but honestly I don't know if I want to keep it. I might just pass it on to someone who hopefully will give it more love than I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature