IKAFS - book post

 

    (I forgot this was a draft and forgot that I never posted it!)


It took me an extra week to read It's Kind of a Funny Story. I just don't think I connected with the book very much. The content wasn't too heavy or triggering to me personally. Even though I often struggle with depression, it comes and it goes, I just didn't connect with Craig's character.

Okay, let me re-phrase that. I related to him, but didn't connect with him. I am a worrier and I stress over every little thing like he does. It's exhausting to say the least. But I understand where he's coming from when he panics and feels suicidal from his depression. I myself have not really dealt with suicide, but I know others or close friends who have, so it's a hard topic to discuss sometimes. Even with our similar struggles, Craig just didn't click with me. It don't think it's the characters, or the setting, or the story. Something about the book apparently didn't suck me in. It was just a book I had to read and I honestly don't see myself reading it again. Maybe in a few years I'll give it another go, maybe not.

However, I can talk about how well I think that Vizzini wrote the overall story. The author's format of writing wasn't my favorite style per say, BUT he did well with his characters and their inner-struggle. He wrote Craig's character well and I think it was similar to how a fifteen year old boy with his struggles would think. You can physically see Craig's inner-delema and how his panicked mind works. I thought that took a lot of creativity and showed Craig's growth throughout the book.

I don't have as much to say about this book as I might for the other ones we're reading, but I did somewhat enjoy the book. I think it sits at a 5/10 for me. Not great, but not horrible either. I think someone closer to Craig's age may connect with it more than I do as a twenty-one year old female. I really might try to pick this book up again in a few years or so, but for now, I'm okay with reading through it once and leaving it at that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature