I wish for peace on earth after reading Zlata's Diary

     Zlata's Diary is the perfect book for introducing war to adolescents. The story is written by an 11-year-old, making it not too challenging of a read in terms of content and language. Zlata delivers a chronicling of the Bosnian war that comes from the perspective of a child during times of violence and bloodshed. In times of war, I feel as if there are no rules. 

    I personally love history. It is one of my favorite subjects. I believe I was in 7th grade when I read Anne Frank's Diary. Ever since then I have been dreaming of the day I get to travel to Mss. Frank's house and see just how tight her living space was behind that hidden bookshelf. The Holocaust was one of the first mass genocides that truly caught my attention. After reading Anne Frank I became fascinated with every spine trembling detail. When I learned Zlata was inspired by Anne to start writing in a diary with a name I felt a connection. Anne left her mark on Zlata and some millions of others who have picked up The Diary of Anne Frank. Once I got into high school I soon realized how often these kinds of genocides take place around the world. It isn't like there is a new one starting every day, but there are more than we like to acknowledge. Another not so popular topic was the Rwandan Genocide. In 1994 about 800,000 Rwandans were slaughtered in an effort to wipe out the Tutsi community. By 1995 close to 100,000 people were murdered during the Bosnian war. These two genocides combined do not even outweigh the some 1.7 million killed during the holocaust. 

    With the mass media, it is almost impossible to ignore and avoid these kinds of issues as they are broadcasted on screens everywhere. As educators, we can equip our students with the basic knowledge of these events. From there it is up to them how they use that knowledge. Some may go into criminal justice in an effort to seek trial for these disagreements and avoid war altogether. Others may use the information received from Zlata as a talking point in their next debate at the dinner table. I agree with the author's portrayal of adolescence because in growing up there is no right or wrong, there are just lessons to be learned. While I disagree with stripping away children from their innocence and childhood; I do see how Zlata did what she could with what she had. Even as times of celebration changed, she still grew eager and excited. The issue that stands out in Zlata's Diary is how restricted children and their families are during times of war. I feel as if there should be another planet where the brave can go dish out their differences on the battlefield, and leave those on earth to mingle in peace. 

Comments

  1. Logan, I love that you said "Zlata did what she could with what she had" because I have felt that way with some of the characters in the other books we read this semester. I also love history so when I'm able to read books like Zlata's diary and learn new things, I get excited and go on a hunt for more information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan,
    I totally relate on the basis of connecting with Anne Frank and the Holocaust. That harrowing event is the first time that I also experienced the same interest in understanding more about this awful event. Your title of your blog caught my eye as well. I felt a similar way after reading this, why were so many children faced with the inability to have peace and be authentic children for once? Zlata's positivity and outward look on life is incredibly inspiring and I felt every piece of this novel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature