After the Clouds Comes the Sun

     When I think back to my history classes in high school, I remember the discussions of war: massive destruction, tons of lives taken, innocent people losing their homes, etc. There are so many wars discussed in high school and it is hard to place yourself in those situations. Many of the details discussed are faint in my memory because I have never been in this situation, I could never even imagine. All in all, many things that have been discussed have been forgotten because war is so common, and I have never thought about what I would do if I were in those situations. Zlata’s Diary really touched me because I was able to vividly understand what life is like from an innocent individual placed in the conflict of war. Zlata says, “We’re innocent. But helpless!” (188.) Seeing war from the perspective of a young child losing many of her friends and family from death or moving away, losing electricity and water, losing rooms in her home, her music, school, and animals, has shown me the reality of war, and makes me think back to all of those war discussions that I overlooked in high school. Zlata’s diary serves as her voice for the people who lived and died during the war, the struggle of growing up as a child through the war, and the positives that keep one going and inspired to live through the hard times.

          Zlata goes into detail of how much loss she has experienced through the war. She mentions her friends that have moved away, her family that she has lost, her years of schooling that have been lost, and her childhood that has been lost. Zlata explains her life during the war as “a child without a childhood.” (61.) Throughout all of her losses, Zlata makes sure to mention the positives, and the things that makes living through torture a little bit easier, and I think this is one of her main purposes of keeping a journal. First of all, I think “Mimmy”, her journal, is her safe place. I think that Mimmy helps her get through these hard times. Sometimes for adolescents, it is easier to talk to oneself than to talk to other people about their problems. Since her friends are gone, and her parents are struggling just as much as her, this journal helps her to get her emotions out. Throughout her journal there are many times that she reveals her positivity of the war, and how she knows that it will pass. “This war will pass, Srdjan, we’ll all be together again. You’ve got to hold on!!” (17.) This quote shows her trying to stay strong; I think her writing it in her journal allowed her to hold onto this hope. She also says, “The people must be the ones to win, not the war, because this war has nothing to do with humanity. War is something inhumane.” Her writing this shows her will to keep going. The war is inhumane, but it will be overcome by the people; she, her family, friends, and other innocent people, will be stronger than the war.

          One of the biggest things that I thought about while reading the diary is how a lot of Zlata’s bravery comes from the people surrounding her, her friends and family near and far. She says, “You have to be brave and stay with those you love and those who love you.” (36.) This quote shows her strength and how she has that strength. This is comparable to my life and I am sure everyone else’s. Life is hard, and this is why you must surround yourself with the right people. These people will help you get through the hard times. Throughout the diary, there are gifts that the family receives from friends and family. On Zlata’s first war time birthday, she received flowers, a book, chocolates, vitamins, heart shaped soap, a ring, earrings, etc. This shows an example of people caring for her and keeping her strong throughout the war. Without these external materialist things, it would be hard to keep a smile and keep going. There are many instances where the family receives food from family and friends. This sense of unity shows that their struggle is not unnoticed. I think the posting of this diary shows how family and friends are one’s way out of struggle; people that care for you will help you get through the hard times. Even though the gifts are small, they mean so much to Zlata, “How little we Sarajevo people need to make us happy.” (116.) A clarification for my thoughts on this is on page 142, “Together we will get through these hard times.”

          Throughout all of the losses, Zlata still makes a point to talk about the positives. The letters and gifts that she receives just show some things that inspired her to live. There were many times I saw that Zlata wanted to give up, like when she says, “I really don’t know whether to go on living and suffering… or to take a rope and just… be done with it,” (130)  but she keeps going and eventually “comes out of the darkness.” (197.) My favorite quote from the diary reads, ““Post nubila, Phoebus.”... and it means: “After the clouds comes the sun.”" (166). This quote really defines the diary and relays the message that I think Zlata is trying to give. That after the storm, comes sunshine, even though you have to travel through pain to get there. The sun is coming. This sun is the reason for her voice, it gives her the will to speak up for all that was lost. Her diary is her voice to shows that she made it, and that others will make it too.

Comments

  1. I liked how you talk about what you learned in history class. In a way I think it's sad that we only focus on the big picture stuff: we talk about the millions of people that died, the destruction that was wrought on both cities and natural land, the trenches and the horrors that occurred there. But I think the worst part of it is we sit in class and we shake our heads, asking ourselves how the world could have been so terrible that we let these things happen. We talk about the actions that lead to war, but I don't think we talk often enough about what was done to try and stop the conflicts, or about what could have been to stop the conflict.

    I also like how you mention the Latin quote "Post nubile, Phoebus." It is a very pleasant, almost calming thought. But I think it raises he question: What will bring an end to the clouds? I think that quote is also dangerous. Simply saying that eventually things will get better could lure people into a false sense of security, where eventually they get to the point of asking "Well, when is the sun going to get here?" Bad things like war and pseudo-dictator presidents don't just end, people have to come together and talk, or make their way to the voting booth, and actually take action to banish the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “We’re innocent. But helpless!” (188.) Seeing war from the perspective of a young child losing many of her friends and family from death… has shown me the reality of war, and makes me think back to all of those war discussions that I overlooked in high school.”

    That is exactly what our education system is missing, multiple perspectives. I took an absolutely amazing class last semester. It was African American History and the course basically covered everything from the start of the slave trade all the way through Obama. And I am not exaggerating when I tell you it felt like I was learning the history of a whole different country. By the time the semester ended, our current society made way more sense to me than it did before.

    My point being that learning history, particularly that of “others,” changes our perspectives. It makes us more understanding and less susceptible to suggestions of a standard. This is why it is imperative that we treat texts like “Zlata’s Diary” as essential to our curriculums as opposed to periphery literature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature