Thoughts on Crank

I did not personally enjoy reading Crank. While it was a quick read, I found the structure hard to get through. Overall I think it is a meaningful text and one that is worthy of consideration for teaching in a high school classroom. The most interesting aspect of this book to me was how Kristina's life spirals out of control because of her search to fit in. A lack of resources and support around her is what ultimately takes her life from the right track to completely off the tracks.

I could be naive about it, but I do not feel that meth is a big issue among adolescents. I think it's a problem that reaches the adult population more, but I do think there are parallels between drug use and young adult readers. I feel that drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and pain pills are the ones that impact teens more, so I wonder why the author chose to use meth in this story. I agree with her portrayal of drug use, but I didn't feel that meth was the best drug choice to use for a young adult book. Either way there is still a lot of value in examining drug use in general and why teens choose to make that choice.

Kristina gets caught up with some troublesome male characters, and I think the relationship with her parents and her stepfather played a part in that. It's clear that she is desperately looking for something to feel apart of. Parent relationships and the amount of support that teens feel from their parents is an important issue to look at when examining adolescent literature. This relates to Speak because both Melinda and Kristina have issues with their parents. The difference is that Melinda had more support and people to turn to.

Personally I could connect to the peer pressure, as I'm sure a lot of teens can. Saying no is easier said than done, because you always feel that ultimately you will be in control of what happens to you. Once that control starts to slip, like as Kristina becomes super reliant to the drug, is when decision making can become problematic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature