13 Reasons Why Blog Post

When I first began to watch the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, I had no idea that there was a book out until my peers around me informed me. My overall reaction to the book was that it was a good story and one that needed to be told. What I liked about the book was that a few of the scenes, characters, and situations in the book were different from the TV show. One of the main things that stood out to me that was so different in the book compared to the show was the way that Hannah killed herself. In the show she slits her wrist and dies in the bathtub surrounded by all her blood compared to the book where she takes a numerous amount of sleeping pills in order to kill herself. My question to the author would be “Why do you think Netflix displayed different scenes and personalities in the show compared to the book?”. There is no doubt in my mind that Jay Asher displayed the life of adolescents perfectly. In high school you have to deal with overly aggressive boys, rumors, teachers who may not care for you as much as you think, and also cliques as well. This texts relates to Speakby Laurie Anderson in my opinion because in Speak, Miranda also had to deal with being raped by a teenage boy. The problem of sexual assault and rape is something that is a big problem in high school and one that needs to be addressed better. This type of reading and show was one that needed to come out and show how many girls and boys feel on a daily basis. They feel alone, betrayed, fearful, and hurt when they have to deal with hard situations either at home or at school. As classmates and peers, we need to make it our job to welcome everyone and give everyone a chance to be our friend. Many times in high school you become grouped up with the people who have the same interests in sports or academics. Cliques are a big part of high school but also something that needs to be worked on in the future. My last question for Jay Asher would be “Do you think 13 Reasons Why has had a huge impact on our world today?”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature