Critical Research Topic Proposal

For my research paper and presentation, I am choosing the topic of isolation and loneliness in adolescence. I already know that loneliness in adolescence can shape a child's character for the rest of their lives. I selected my topic because I have experienced loneliness in my childhood. I can relate to the lonely protagonists we have read about this semester. This topic relates to House on Mango Street, Speak, Feed and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I plan on using these books in my research as well as academic sources from one of the library's databases. My argument for this topic is that a certain length of time of being lonely in an adolescents life is beneficial and not detrimental in the long run. My essential research question is "Does this time of being alone increase creativity and intellect?" Some of my focus questions are:

1. Does it hurt more for an adolescent to be rejected by family or peers?
2. What is unique about being alone?
3. How detrimental is loneliness and isolation to a child as they are growing up?
4. How do adolescents attempt to cope with loneliness and isolation?
5. What are the worst-case scenarios of adults who have had a lonely childhood?

I foresee that finding resources with a positive outlook on loneliness and isolation will be a challenge. Also, finding the answer to what is unique about being alone may be difficult as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature