My Opinion on Feed

My overall reaction to this novel varied from Part One to Part Four. In the beginning, I was a little biased because it is a science fiction novel and I do not particularly care for them. I read this novel initially as something I was going to try to get through for class and that is it. The broken language that Titus and his friends speak did not help my opinion at all. After reading the majority of Part Two my mind changed. I began to be invested and was genuinely hoping that Titus would try and understand Violet and become more sympathetic. My biggest issue with Feedis that Titus is insensitive until literally the last three pages and it broke my heart. Titus angered me when he mentioned to Violet, “We’ve only been going out a couple of months. And I’m supposed to act like we’re married. A couple of months. It’s not some big eternal thing (271-272).” That is almost one of the worse things to say to someone dying because they already do not have time on their side. There is no eternity for them. 

I must say that I agree with the portrayal of adolescence that MT Anderson writes but, I do not like it. It is disheartening to look at the harsh reality of our kids are becoming more and more dependent of the internet. They are also becoming easy bait for major corporations to influence them. I can see the similarities because my niece is in that age range now and she is easily pulled towards what is popular and despises what is not. Anderson has an accurate prediction of the real world and advertisement influence by saying, “They're also waiting to make you want things. Everything we've grown up with—the stories on the feed, the games, all of that--it's all streamlining our personalities so we’re easier to sell to (97).” Anderson does well in this science fiction novel to show us what world we are living in and the horrors we could possibly face in the coming decades. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature