Feed Blog post

The book Feed is a book that was way ahead of its time in my opinion. The book was written in the year of 2002 and M.T Anderson does a great job at showing his view and ideas of what the future of technology would look like. The points in the book that were most compelling to me was that fact that not all Americans had the feed inside of their brains. This meant that about seventy percent of Americans were not gifted with certain databases or able to experience certain features of rare technology. In the book Titus considers himself normal to the kids around him but we see as the book starts to transpire and Titus is using the feed inside of his brain that he starts to become more captivating. 

While in class we discussed the different types of themes that were displayed in the book and the biggest one that stood out to me was consumerism. On page 97 in the book it says “They're also waiting to make you want things. Everything we've grown up with—the stories on the feed, the games, all of that--it's all streamlining our personalities so we’re easier to sell to” (Anderson, 97). This quote stands out so much because it shows how we all think when the newest item or the newest piece of technology is on the market. I can even say for myself that I often view things this way. Whenever the newest iPhone is about to come out I am always trying to make sure that I am on top of it and I want it. Not only is this consumerism but this also falls under the manipulation category in my opinion. The big companies that we buy technology from know that whenever they drop the newest phone, earphones, or laptops, that the consumers are indeed going to buy them. Overall I enjoyed this book so much because it touches on the realness that we face as humans. My generation definitely has a big issue with social media and different forms of technologies and in a way they definitely handicap us. Anderson does a great job at seeing this at such an early point in the 2000’s and my main question to him now would definitely be “What do you think about this now?”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature