Response to Winter Girls - Angel Brakorenko

 I did not get that far into this book. It was so real and on-point, making it that much more dangerous to myself and anyone that might be struggling with anorexia or, really, any eating disorder. Full disclosure, I did have a breakdown at some point and knew immediately that I would never teach this book to any middle or high schoolers. They are so very impressionable and this kind of awareness of calorie counting and competition can easily start a child on a path to starvation and self-hatred. Although I do wish people understood this illness more and could sympathize, there is no amount of awareness that is worth losing yourself over. It is so heartbreaking to think of younger people doing something like this to themselves and I know from experience that if I had not learned about eating disorders as in-depth as I did (thanks to people like Eugenia Clooney and such), it would not have affected my life. I am sorry for being so transparent by the way... there was never a chance for me to express these feelings before in a judgment free atmosphere. 

Comments

  1. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. Your struggles are valid, and they don't detract from your character. I hate that society not only glorifies eating disorders, but also has the audacity to make them seem like a joke. It makes it hard for people to talk about it...society does that for like, everything actually, it's honestly getting really old...and now I'm thinking about the definition of society...idk, it seems blurry to me. How does one determine which parts of society set the terms and enforce the shame, and which ones are affected? It can't be done, there are way too many issues, way too many people. Someone who is made to think one thing is inferior could be the same person who makes other people feel that way about another thing, unintentionally so, and/or because it's what they've been told. But having written this out, and after reading your comment on my own post...i know that all I can do is be the kind of person no one feels judged around when they need to talk, and keep promoting the truth that everyone deserves to be heard and seen, valued and validated, and that, while certain mental or physical conditions are more severe, it never does any good to compare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This very well said (especially the ending, I want to be like that too).!

      Delete
  2. It seems like we are a small group full of mature and empathetic students with a wonderful teacher. I too have felt like I can say things in class that I perhaps would not in a larger group for fear of judgement. I have really appreciated this class because of this. Everyone has such unique and nuanced perspectives and it has been refreshing to look forward to what everyone brings to the different discussions. I know this class is usually much bigger but I feel lucky that we got to be in a small group this semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature