It's Kind of a Funny Story( Cameron Newton)

 It's Kind of a Funny Story is an excellent Young Adult novel.that I would recommend people to read. I really connected to the novel, mostly becuase I resonate alot with Craig and how he feels. I don't use the same terminology that he does when describing his issues, like the Tentacles, for me they are needles that are poking my brain. But, regardless I still relate to how Craig describes his issues. I also like they positive ending that the novel has and how it leads to a hopeful life for Craig in the future. Despite the true tragedy of Ned Vizzini, I think this book serves as an excellent perspective to give teens and adolesecents the tools needed to deal with thier mental health or at the very least give them hope that there will be a better Future.    The novel has many themes, but at its core, the book I believe is really about perspective. 

"I look at the map. It's not a brain, clearly; it's a map; can't she see the rivers and highways and interchanges? But I see how it could look like a brain, if all the roads were twisted neurons, pulling your emotions from one place to another, bringing the city to life." ( Vizzini 292) 

    I like this quote as it shows Craig starting to reconnect with his map making/tracing from when he was a kid.  This eventually leads to the Brain Maps that the cover of the book displays.  The reason why I like this quote is becuase it shows that even in a dire situation, you can find something that brings you joy or satifies a certain part of your brain and allows you to feel better and cope with life.  For me personally I have several hobbies that I routinely interact with and it is extremely easy for me to hyperfixate and Anchor myself to that allows me to experience the same joy that Craig has. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature