800 Rupees

When I took the time read Sold, I made sure to prepare my heart and sit with it undistracted. That was hard. It was hard to physically sit still and read about this precious girl and her experiences. My heart broke so many times. Even though I knew that it was more culturally acceptable for her stepdad to sell her, it angered me to see how little he loved his wife or his family. "Lately, I want to tell her, my stepfather looks at me the same way he looks at the cucumbers I'm growing in front of our hut." (McCormick 1-2) On the other side, her mother saddened me because society caused her to believe that she would be better off with a dead beat man, than being a single mother. 

Lakshmi's sexual experiences were almost unbearable to read. Tears streamed down my face as Habib prided himself as being her first. Her experiences were far from pleasurable and she desensitized herself to noises, feelings, and sights. "Then I understand: I was the person crying." (McCormick 121) It broke my heart. 

My heart was wrecked and filled with hope all at once by the end of the book. "Something inside me breaks open, and I run down the steps. I see Mumtaz, her fat mango face purple with rage, her arms pinned behind her back by two policemen. She lunges in my direction and spits. But policemen hold her back." (McCormick 263) Although this book was a hard read, I am glad we are able to talk about subjects such as these and bring awareness to all. 


Comments

  1. It was definitely a very difficult novel to get through. To even think that trafficking and brothels are normalized in certain parts of the world is horrific and very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature