Research Topic

For my research paper I want to explore how adolescent literature explores the development of personal identity within societies who have strong ideals that oppress or oppose those of the protagonists within the literature. I know that part of adolescent development includes the development of self-concept as well as a collective identity, and that these processes are largely explored within psychological and sociological areas as well as in adolescent literature. I am interested in learning more about the developmental processes of these identities and how these processes are developed and explored through the struggles of protagonists in literature.

I have selected this topic because I have always been interested in the concept of the self, and the processes and struggles individuals face in the development of a strong identity. I am also interested in the relationship between and among personal identity and social or collective identities, and how these struggles are explored within the literature of adolescent development in terms of psychological, sociological and literary contexts.

The novels I plan to use of this topic are The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and The Giver as both protagonists seek to find their own personal identity within a community who oppresses their individuality.

I plan to use resources from psychological and sociological backgrounds to develop an understanding of the development of personal and social identities of adolescents on which to base my discussion of the protagonists in the two novels. I also hope to find some literary criticisms of both novels that will help me expound on the struggles the two protagonists face in their development of their personal self within the constrains and pressures of a society that holds different ideals and expectations.

My preliminary claim is: A major element of adolescent development is the formation of the personal and collective self and the ability to negotiate the relationship of these selves within the pressures of personal and social ideals and expectations.  This development and negotiation of personal and social identities is explored in the adolescent literature of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and The Giver through the protagonists' struggle to formulate their own personal identity within oppressive social contexts in these novels.

I think my challenge will be to find enough credible sources that are current. I do not foresee finding any literature on these novels with respect to personal identity, and will rely on more psychological and sociological sources for my research.

Comments

  1. You have selected a very interesting topic and incredibly relevant texts for your research. This topic would also fit the study of African American Adolescent Lit as well. Your claim is sound and completely warranted by the texts. It looks like you already have a solid thesis! As you write your paper, please consider the implications for young adult readers. How do these protagonists serve as models for modern day readers, and how do the struggles faced by twenty-first century adolescents connect to those experienced by Arnold and Jonas? I think this will add an interesting aspect to your paper. Good luck and Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains - The Symbolism of the Tree in Speak

How Starr Goes from Acting to Embracing in The Hate U Give

Speak and the Symbolism of Nature